I sincerely can’t have one type of eyeshadow. When I plan to shop for one eyeshadow, I end up shopping for more than one. The eyeshadow palettes come in fascinating packages and striking colors that always seem to beckon me to pick them.
Consequently, I end up having loads of eyeshadows in my makeup bag, most of them unopened. Recently, I noticed that one of my eyeshadows has not been open for the past two years. It was not looking faulty or damaged. I was, however, unsure if it was safe to use on my eye.
So, I researched and would like to share my findings with you. Please read on.
How long does eyeshadow last unopened?
If stored correctly in a cool or dry place, an unopened eyeshadow will last two to three years since it has not been opened to air or any bacteria.
Furthermore, how long an unopened eyeshadow will last may depend on the eyeshadow type and how it is made. For instance, powder-eyeshadow usually lasts longer than liquid eye shadows or any product in liquid form because the moisturizing ingredients are bacteria’s cradle.
Although, creamed products comprising cream concealers, liquid blushes or oil, could expire on time because oil can rot. If the eyeshadow is a natural formulation without a strong preservative, it may go wrong, even if unopened. An unopened eyeshadow with preservatives can equally go wrong because the preservative will break down over time.
Always be alert to makeup products’ expiry dates, especially the makeup you apply near your eyes, such as eyeshadow. If you still choose to use the expired eyeshadow, the expired formulas will reduce its performance and may leave you with a dull look, and worse still, skin infection.
What happens to an unopened eyeshadow if it expires?
Usually, every makeup product has expiry dates printed on them. It is usually written as 6M, 12M, 24M; the “M” on the package signifies Months.
So, when your eyeshadow expires, the following will happen:
- It will become dry, crumbly, and start to break.
- The color pigments will change; it will not look vibrant again.
- It may be packed down and difficult to use.
- It will lose its original fragrance.
- The texture will be off, resulting in an uneven application.
- It will be a breeding ground for bacteria.
How to maintain your unopened eyeshadow?
- Keep away from heat or high temperatures; eyeshadows and your other cosmetics are pretty sensitive to heat, humidity, light, and temperature variations. Heat will harm your eyeshadow, alter the odor, color, and texture, as it can’t stand temperature fluctuations.
- Funny as it may sound, you can protect your eyeshadow and other beauty products from the heat by putting them in a refrigerated beauty box or a mini-fridge. It is usually created with an intelligent thermal regulation software device and a patented cooling system that guarantees perfect efficiency and reduced power consumption that can preserve your eyeshadow.
- You can choose to put it in a cool, dry, and dark area instead.
- You can also store it in a clean cabinet or a drawer.
What are the risks of using expired eyeshadow?
- It will contain bacteria and cause eye irritation.
- It can cause flu
- It can cause pink eyes
- It will cause inflammation.
- It will cause acne
- It will cause eye rashes
- It will cause skin irritation
- It is already a contaminated eyeshadow, so that will cause severe infections.
What are the different types of eyeshadows?
There is an eyeshadow for every look you want as it comes in a variety of colors. Eyeshadows also come in one of the following formulas:
- Powdered eyeshadow
- Liquid eyeshadow
- Cream eyeshadow
- Loose pigment eyeshadow
The Powered Eyeshadow is a popular type of eyeshadow highly suggested for makeup beginners. It blends so easily and can be quickly modified when there is a mess.
This type of eyeshadow comes in several finishes, including matte, shimmer, and glitter.
A liquid eyeshadow can be pretty challenging to work with, especially for a beginner. However, exceptionally skilled makeup artists cling to this type of eyeshadow because of the intense color benefit they derive from using it; i is a color pay-off eyeshadow.
It is the perfect eyeshadow to use to create an eye-popping look. A drop of liquid eyeshadow can modify your face thoroughly.
Cream Eyeshadows are often packaged in a small pot or pan. You can use your brush or finger to apply it. It quickly dries when exposed to air and high heat. Ensuring it is closed properly after use will make it last longer.
Cream Eyeshadows give full color and high pigment.
Loose pigment eyeshadow
Loose Pigment Eyeshadow is formulated from powdered pigment. It is a type of eyeshadow that makeup artists are loyal to in their makeup kits.
If used on the face, it leaves you with a charming look. You can prep your lid with a primer before you apply the eyeshadow. It will help smoothen the surface you want to apply the eyeshadow, keep it crease-free all day, and enhance its natural pigments.
In conclusion, eyeshadow is a beauty product that enhances the color variation around your eyes and makes you look more attractive. But if it is used after the expiration period, you may not get that bright and attractive look you desire. Therefore, you must note the expiration date, whether opened or unopened. If you open your eyeshadow and you cannot find the expiration date, write down the date you opened it, and ensure you use it up on or before two years.
Watch How long does eyeshadow last unopened | Video
Can you use your old eyeshadow as nail paint?
Yes, you can. Mix the eyeshadow colors with clear nail polish.
Do eyeshadows go dark to light?
When applying your eyeshadow, ensure you proceed from the lightest shade to the darkest in the crease. For instance, you can use light brown eyeshadow first, medium brown, dark brown, or even black eyeshadow.
Can you use your lipstick as a tinted lip balm?
Yes, you can. Melt your expired lipstick using a microwave or stove and add drops of argan oil to it. When your mixture is ready, put it inside the fridge for 30 minutes. Viola, your lip balm is ready.
What are the makeup tips for healthy eyes?
- Clean your makeup brushes always to lessen irritation risk.
- Store your makeup product in a cool and dry place to minimize bacteria growth and help extend longevity; don’t put it in a bathroom as it may get pretty wet, which can cause mildew in your products.
- Cosmetics can be contaminated, so limit or better still, don’t share eye makeup—infections like viral conjunctivitis spread by utilizing someone’s eyeshadows, mascaras, and eye pencils.
- Always wash off your makeup before sleeping
Does sunscreen expire?
Yes, sunscreens have an expiration date. It is usually printed on the bottle. If it is not printed on the bottle, write the day you purchased it and discard it after three years.
Sun protection is vital in any anti-aging regimen, so using an expired one will not be effective. Ensure you discard it if it expires.
Do skincare products expire?
Yes, a skincare product; moisturizers, eye creams, and face creams expire, usually lasts up to 6 months. Even if the cream is yet to expire, the active ingredients become inactive or less effective the longer it stays due to the constant exposure to air and bacteria. Skincare products that have been opened for too long and are still being used may cause irritation or bacterial infections.
How vital is great skincare to good makeup?
Makeup is applied to a clean base, so skincare is very vital.
Can you cover up wrinkles and other skin conditions with makeup?
Yes, you can. A good tinted moisturizer, blemish balm cream, or airbrush gives coverage without accenting fine lines and wrinkles.
When to throw away makeup brushes?
You can throw away makeup brushes and buy a new set once the ones you are using are damaged.
But, if it is not damaged, keep using and taking care of it. Wash your brushes at least twice a week with warm soapy water and dry. It will lessen the number of bacteria that are introduced to your face.
What are the major beauty products a woman buys the most?
- Eye cream
- Face cream