For ages, mascara has had a monopoly over the eyelash domain. Its use on eyelashes leaves you looking pretty, gorgeous, and breathtaking. But wait, let’s imagine you are running late for an occasion, and you find out that you are out of mascara. What do you do next? Do you use another product as a substitute? Keep reading.
In this Guide I’ll break down a step by step guide to using Vaseline as mascara or using them together. it will shock you to know that this is an old makeup guide. and i am sure this guide will give you more information to step up your makeup game.
- 1 Can you use Vaseline as mascara?
- 2 How to use Vaseline as mascara
- 3 Essential tips for using Vaseline as mascara
- 4 Pros of using Vaseline on eyelashes
- 5 Cons of using Vaseline on eyelashes
- 6 Does Vaseline truly help with eyelash growth at all?
- 7 Tips when using Vaseline as a substitute for eyelashes.
- 8 What are the benefits of using Vaseline?
- 9 What else can you use as a substitute for mascara?
- 10 Will not wearing mascara improve your eyelash health?
- 11 Conclusion
- 12 Watch How to use Vaseline as Mascara Video Tutorial
- 13 FAQ
- 13.1 How can I make my Vaseline on eyelashes glossy?
- 13.2 Can you make your eyelashes look good without mascara or Vaseline?
- 13.3 Can you wear mascara with eyelash extension?
- 13.4 What are the other ways you can use your Vaseline?
- 13.5 Does Vaseline work as a lash primer?
- 13.6 Does Vaseline hold eyelash curl?
- 13.7 Is Vaseline bad for eyelashes?
- 13.8 How to grow lashes naturally?
- 13.9 References
Can you use Vaseline as mascara?
Yes, you can. Using Vaseline as a substitute for mascara is one of the beauty hacks that has been around for years now. using Vaseline as mascara can enhances your eyelashes. Vaseline is a lubricant made of 100 percent pure petroleum jelly so using it before mascara can help moisturize and smoothen your skin before you apply mascara.
How to use Vaseline as mascara
- Wash your face first with lukewarm water and get rid of all traces of eye makeup. Your skin needs to be clean before you apply Vaseline.
- Properly moisturize your eyelid zone also.
- Dip the clean wand of your mascara into your Vaseline; smooth out any cluster with a moist piece of toilet paper. If it is excessive, it may drip in your eyes and cause irritation and make you start to tear.
- Gently apply it to your upper and lower lashes just like you would use your mascara. It will make your lashes look shiny and thick, just like the mascara.
Note: if you have thrown out your old mascara and did not retain your mascara wand, you can always use a Q-tip to apply it. A Q-tip is a small stick with ball-shaped absorbent cotton attached at its end.
You can also use your Vaseline as an eyelash moisturizer. Leave it on for several hours, maybe overnight, so it has enough time to moisturize the hair strands from root to tip and produce visible results over time.
Essential tips for using Vaseline as mascara
- It would be best if you cleaned your eyes properly before applying Vaseline. It will help clear the pores from oil-secreting glands and stop oils build-up around the eyes that can cause the eyes to appear puffy.
- Ensure you clean the Vaseline at the end of the day.
- Do a patch test before applying the Vaseline on your skin to know if you will react to it negatively.
Pros of using Vaseline on eyelashes
- Vaseline forms a sticky, wax-like protective coating that locks moisture within the eyelash surface and keeps it well-hydrated.
- It forms a greasy coating that makes your eyelashes appear dark, intense, thicker, longer, and luscious due to its oily nature.
- It is a perfect substitute for mascara as it produces the same effect. It adds a natural shine and glossy finish to natural eyelashes, like mascara. It is more authentic when compared to mascara.
- It strengthens your lash and keeps them from falling out.
- It has no distinct, offensive, or strong odor like perfumes, so it won’t irritate your olfactory senses after applying.
Cons of using Vaseline on eyelashes
- It can make every other facial makeup smudge. You should apply it gently to avoid smudging different makeup on your face, especially when applying eyeliner and eye shadow since they are all makeup around the eye. Don’t apply it excessively on your lashes.
- It may not be easy to substitute mascara for Vaseline if you wear glasses. It is because it is most likely going to rub off on your glasses, which will make your glasses blurry.
- You may not like the aftermath experience of substituting mascara for Vaseline when outdoor. Because Vaseline can make particles of dust settle on your eyelashes, thereby causing eye irritation.
- If you have oily skin, it can cause acne and give you an eye infection due to clogged pores.
Does Vaseline truly help with eyelash growth at all?
Vaseline is made with oil that cannot penetrate the skin. But, if it can enter the skin and permeate the hair follicle, it will stimulate hair growth.
Many women believe that Vaseline fosters the growth of eyelashes because of the moisturizing effect. In contrast, others feel it does not contain any hair-growth enhancing ingredients that will make your eyelashes grow.
Tips when using Vaseline as a substitute for eyelashes.
- Whatever you want to apply around your eye should be chosen with proper care. The skin around your eyes is very delicate, even though vaseline is a safe product to use in the eye area.
- Vaseline is very greasy, it would be best to apply it at night, before bedtime, so there would be sufficient time to moisturize your skin. There would also be adequate time for it to improve the texture and appearance of your eyelashes.
- Using it often will produce long-term results.
What are the benefits of using Vaseline?
There are various ways to use Vaseline that can be beneficial for eyelashes.
- Using Vaseline as mascara will uplift your eyelashes and keep them moisturized compared to mascara that dries out your lashes and make them thinner after use. When you hydrate your lashes, it will keep them healthy and make them last longer.
- Also, it enhances the growth of your lashes. To make your lashes grow with Vaseline, wash your face and apply it to the clean lashes every night. If you do this often, you will notice a slight change in your lashes as they become fuller and longer.
- It can help your lashes sparkle and strengthen them as well.
- It makes your lashes look darker and naturally bright.
- It gives an exact look you will get if you apply mascara.
- It makes eyelashes grow longer and softer.
- It strengthens your lashes and keeps them from falling off.
- It gives a solemn look appropriate for subtle makeup.
What else can you use as a substitute for mascara?
Here’s a list of other stand-ins for mascara:
1. Liquid or gel eyeliner
You can use thin, dark liquid or gel eyeliner to substitute for mascara. Carefully apply it on your lashes with a mascara wand or a fine tip brush; it will give you that same mascara illusion.
2. Fake eyelashes/Eyelash extensions
Usually, ladies always have a pair of eyelashes in their beauty bags. So, once you find out that you have run out of mascara, you can wear your eyelash extensions. It will give you dark and fuller lashes, even more coverage than the mascara.
3. Lash tint
If you are looking for a quick substitute for your mascara after running out of it, lash tint may not work because the process takes like 30 minutes to start and finish.
But, if you want to put your mascara use on hold due to some reasons best known to you, you can lash tint. It will darken your lashes and make it seem you are wearing mascara. It can last about four weeks.
Will not wearing mascara improve your eyelash health?
Ingredients like yellow carnauba wax, shellac, and yellow or black iron oxides make mascara, and these ingredients irritate the eyes and make them fragile, thinner, resulting in breakage. They can block the oil glands and the hair follicles and cause inflammation and infections.
Also, when you use it regularly or don’t apply it correctly or wash it off, it will affect your face.
So, if you don’t wear mascara, you stand a chance of having better eyelash health. It will improve your eyelash health and reduce the number of eyelashes lost. However, using it moderately won’t cause harm.
In conclusion, Vaseline is a great makeup alternative if you avoid using makeup for a while. It has been around for years; there is practically nothing you can’t use Vaseline to do. You can use it for your chapped lips and cuticles and so on. It is even a better option than mascara as it dries your lashes and makes them thinner. Staying away from the constant use of mascara will also improve your eyelash health.
Vaseline is highly multi-functional and multi-beneficial.
Watch How to use Vaseline as Mascara Video Tutorial
How can I make my Vaseline on eyelashes glossy?
You can make your lashes glossy by mixing a little bit of your Vaseline with your eyeshadow powder; this will give you a gorgeous glossy lid.
Can you make your eyelashes look good without mascara or Vaseline?
Yes, you can. You can use an eyelash curler to lift your lashes and make them appear longer. If you squeeze the curler too hard, it will put pressure on your lashes, resulting in breakage.
Can you wear mascara with eyelash extension?
Yes, you can. However, wearing the two together depends on the mascara you use and the extensions you have.
Some mascaras like 2D or 3D lash sets don’t suit some extensions and may damage and shorten their lifespan. Also, don’t use oil-based or waterproof mascara on your extensions; they will break down the bonding agents in your extensions.
What are the other ways you can use your Vaseline?
Use it with your perfume to make the fragrance last longer; use it to tame brows and flyways. Use it as mascara, as a highlighter, and as glossy lids.
You can also add it to your chapped lips and ankles; use it to hide your split ends, use it as a highlighter, and soothe post-shaving. Also, use it to prevent lipstick from smudging onto your teeth and transform your powder makeup.
Does Vaseline work as a lash primer?
Yes, Vaseline can double as a lash primer. Use the mascara want to apply Vaseline on your lashes before applying your mascara. It detaches the lash hair and makes it easier for the mascara to come off smoothly.
Does Vaseline hold eyelash curl?
Vaseline gives protection to your eyelashes even before curling them. It also helps to keep them strong and make your curls last longer.
Is Vaseline bad for eyelashes?
No, Vaseline is safe to use around the skin of your eyes. If you have delicate skin or conditions like eyelid dermatitis or blepharitis, it is even safer to use as it will help moisturize your eyelashes.
How to grow lashes naturally?
Grow it using essential oils such as olive oil, castor oil, and even coconut oil.